Freeport/Realistic Toy HistoryStephenson County Historical Society
Realistic Toy Company began production in June of 1946. The business was located at a rural location five miles east of Freeport in a historic mill structure called Brown’s Mill. The business partners included A.L. Hershberger, Frederic Held, and Arthur Stearns.
The company used some of the old Arcade Toy patterns (molds), but cast the toys in aluminum instead of iron.
The name was changed when Freeport Toy Company was incorporated in April of 1947. Officers included A.L. Hershberger, Albert Haege. and Alfred Koym.
On November 28, 1950, a fire broke out in the foundry and the business was a complete loss. 1,000 toys completed, boxed, and ready to ship were lost along with 3,000 toys in stages of production. The loss was reported to be $20,000.